Wednesday, April 1, 2015

AEI♥U Challenge #23–Watercolor!


Happy Wednesday, friends!!!

As this post goes live, I’ll be getting my hair cut.  Yes, my hair dresser cuts hair at 6:00 AM – are you kidding me?!!  I’ll be grumpy for sure . . . especially if Starbucks isn’t open before I get there!!  LOL  Enough whining, right?!

Challenge 23

It’s time for another AEI♥U Challenge, and it’s most definitely one of my favorites!!  When it comes to watercolor, I’m down for anything!!  I so love the ethereal and whimsical look that watercolor brings to a project!  Here’s my take on the challenge!

Challenge 23 - Watercolor

This, friends, is a shameless CASE of a project that Kristina Werner shared in the last Online Card Class – Stretch Your Dies!  She shared a technique of ironing on freezer paper to watercolor paper and using it as a resist for the watercolor.  Once you wash the watercolor over the resisted die cut, you peel the letters off!  Oh my, was that fun and holds so many possibilities for other ideas!!  Here’s the step by step that I did to create my project!

  1. Trim A2 top folding card base from white cardstock; score and fold.
  2. Trim a piece of black striped Shape N Tape; trim it on the diagonal and adhere it to the bottom of the card base.
  3. Trim an A2 image panel from Smooth Bristol Watercolor paper (I tried this technique with Ranger Distress Watercolor paper, but it didn’t work.  I’m guessing it’s because of the texture in the paper that kept the freezer paper from getting a firm seal).
  4. Die cut the Simply Said: You Elle-Ment from Freezer Paper; using a medium-heat iron, iron it in place on the image panel.
  5. Apply a wash of water to the image panel, and then apply a wash of pink, orange and yellow watercolor, overlapping to blend the colors.  Heat set with heat gun.
  6. Once the watercolor is dry, carefully remove the freezer paper with tweezers.
  7. Using the Finished Frames Elle-Ments, die cut the watercolored panel.
  8. On a scrap of New Moon cardstock, stamp sentiment from Simply Said: You using VersaMark; heat emboss with white embossing powder.  Trim it to fit on the image panel, and adhere it with foam squares.
  9. Wrap black and white baker’s twine around the bottom of the image panel and tie into a bow.
  10. Adhere image panel to card base with foam tape.
  11. Adhere sequins with liquid glue.

There you have it, friends!!  Don’t you want to play along with us?!!  We’d so love to see your take on the challenge!!  Please click on through to the AEI♥U Challenge Blog to see all of the other lovely projects that the Challenge Team created to inspire you all!  There, you’ll also find the rules and regulations of the challenge, as well as the linky tool for you to link up your project!  You have until April 26th to play along, and there are TWO Avery Elle $25 Gift Certificates up for grabs!!  So what the heck are you waiting for?!!

That’s it for me today, friends!  Thanks so much for stopping by today – you bring sunshine to my life when you visit!!

3 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

So bold and graphic and striking, love this!

Amy Rohl said...

I could just take a big ol' bite of this, K! LOVE it!

Geri said...

Wow - that's quite the technique! I never cease to be amazed at these folks who think up these ideas!

I Love your colors and how the bold B&W stripes highlight your beautiful inked panel!

6:00am haircut...count me out!