Tuesday, July 31, 2018

My Favorite Things–July Hits & Highlights: Sun, Sand & Water!

Hola my friends!!

Print

I’m playing along with this month’s Hits & Highlights Challenge over at the MFT Design Blog!!  This month’s challenge is Sun, Sand & Water!  I knew that this would be the perfect opportunity to try something that I’d been thinking about with the Aquarium Die-Namics.  We have a new Dollar Store in town, and I just happened to drop by during the grand opening.  While I was wandering the aisles, I found some aqua colored hair gel – and a light bulb went off.  First of all, it’s a dollar!!  Hello!!  And it’s the perfect color for the water in an aquarium, and the bubbles are so real life!!  Check it out!

KKL_JUL3118-Hits-&-Highlights

I mean, come on!!  Could that hair gel be more perfect for the bubbly liquid in an aquarium?!!  I placed a very small amount into a 3.5” x 3.5” ziplock baggie that I just happened to have in my stash (what can I say – I’m a sucker for baggies! LOL).  When I say a small amount, I mean just enough for a very thin layer of gel so that when the bag is zipped shut, the baggie lays flat.  I placed a panel of acetate behind the aperture of the aquarium.  And then I adhered two layers of foam tape on the back of the panel, around the left, right, and bottom outside edges of the aquarium aperture.  And then, once I finished embellishing the “aquarium” (rock bottom created by the Stitched Snow Drifts Die-Namics, Kraft card stock, and my Copic Markers; seaweed made using the Grassy Edges Die-namics and some green vellum that I had in my stash; and the fish are from the Gill Friends Stamp Set and coordinating dies), I adhered the front panel to the card base, and dropped the baggie of hair gel into the “pocket” (the space between the front image panel and the card base).  The two panels hold the gel in place and protect it from leaking or exploding.  Brilliant, right?!!  Here’s a closeup of the gel and the life-like bubbles:

KKL_JUL3118-Hits-&-Highlights-Close-Up

I’ve listed and linked the products that I used below – and who doesn’t need to make a stop at the Dollar Store for some hair gel?!!  It’s a dollar, people!!  LOL

Please click on through to the MFT Design Blog to be linked to the other awesome Sun, Sand & Water themed projects that my teammates have created for you!  No doubt you’ll be amazed by what you see!

That’s it for me today, friends!!  I’ll be spending the day in my craft room filming a couple of upcoming videos for you!  But I’ll be back very soon with more crafty goodness to share with you!  Until then, thanks so much for stopping by and have an awesome day!

PRODUCTS USED:

4 comments:

mindy1414 said...

Yep, the hair gel is GENIUS!! The card looks so real and so cool. I love the Dollar Store, I ALWAYS find something (usually somethings LOL) I can use and not usually what it's intended for hehe but I know I would not have thought of this with the hair gel, I love it!! TFS :)

Christine Kiehl said...

Oh my goodness this is an amazing card! I so love it! How creative! Thank you for sharing!

Cheryl B. said...

Love this card. I'm a little confused. Are the rocks, seaweed and fish adhered to the outside of the acetate or the front of the card base? Is it acetate, bag of gel then images or images, acetate, bag of gel then card base? In any case a genius idea. Probably why I can't follow it!!

Daria Z. said...

I agree - the hair gel is GENIUS! LOVE this clever card.