Thursday, February 11, 2016

5 Days to An Organized Crafty Stash–Card Stock Storage!


MFT_5Days_Teaser

I’m back with Day 4 of the My Favorite Things 5 Days to An Organized Crafty Stash!!  Today we’re looking at ideas for storing card stock!!

KKL_FEB1116-Card-Stock-Storage

Hi, my name is Karolyn and I’m a card stock addict.  One of my biggest crafty fears is that I’ll run out of my favorite card stock colors!  So I hoard it – in ridiculous amounts!!  But I can guarantee that I won’t run out!!  LOL  It’s kind of crazy, really . . . I have enough card stock for three third world countries.  I store it on its side in magazine files, and the filled files are stored in my Expedit shelf – 8 of the 12 cubbies contain cardstock.  (Yikes!)  I leave my MFT Card Stock in the plastic bags that they come in, and I keep the colors in rainbow order.  It just makes me happy.

KKL_FEB1116-Card-Stock-Storage-2

Look at that pretty rainbow!!  If that doesn’t cheer you up, then I don’t know what will!!  I feel like I have a pretty good grip on my card stock stash in terms of organization.  But, in the interest of keeping things real, I’m not 100% “together” in all areas of my craft room.  Behold the area of my crafty life that still needs a lot of work.

KKL_FEB1116-Card-Stock-Storage-3

Yes, friends . . . this is my scrap bin.  It’s embarassing, but I like to keep it real here on my blog.  So now you all know – I’m far from perfect!!  LOL  If I were to actually deal with this mess, it would probably take me days and days to sort it all out!  And then what would I do with it?!!  I have no idea!!  I’m embarassed to admit that this drawer is so full right now, I can barely close it.  It’s close to the stage where I’m tempted to just dump it all in the trash and start over!!  Is that bad?!!

KKL_FEB1216-Craft-Room-1

Here’s a pic of the scrap bin inside my craft room closet.  You can see that the size of the scrap drawer is pretty big in comparison to the other drawers.  Yes, friends – it’s ridiculous.  And I’m aware that it’s ridiculous and shameful.  But I can say that going through this organizational exercise has inspired me to deal with this mess and figure something out that will be much more practical and not so wasteful going forward.  If you have any ideas on how I can accomplish this, please let me know!!

Okay, so now it’d make me so incredibly happy if you’d click on through to the My Favorite Things Design Blog to be linked to some additional ideas from my teammates for storing card stock.  No doubt they’ll inspire you to tackle your crafty stash in ways you never thought of!

That’s it for me today, friends!!  I’m off to get a pedicure and have lunch with my sister.  I hope you have a great day today!  Please come back tomorrow for the final installment of the 5 Days to an Organized Crafty Stash!!  It’s a super fun finale that you don’t want to miss!!!!

8 comments:

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

I love seeing all your organizing! That looks like one great big scrap bin to organize!

Shirley said...

Love your rainbow of paper. As far as scraps...I individually store in plastic drawers, but have been lately thinking...do I really use the scraps and to save space should I toss?...hmm, a thought for later.

Jenn M said...

a Stampin' Up demo/friend of mine used file folders. She had a file box "crate on her counter with a file folder for each SU cardstock that she and customers would place their scraps in. When we would crop together, she always asked us to look in the folders BEFORE pulling out an uncut sheet. It was organized, easy to get to, labeled, and we used up all those bits and pieces!

Also, I have found that I don't throw out all those pieces that get poked out of things that are die cut - I look at it as "future confetti"! I jumble it all together in a ziplock bag and pull out as needed for a shaker card. Saves time and no waste.

PamC said...

Thanks Jenn M. Great information. That is what I like about these topics. Great ideas from the blog AND from the comments.

Nan said...

I have the same problem with scraps. I went through the larger ones and cut the weird parts off. Started this & thought, do I really use these? Dumped the small stuff. Very freeing. Have a ways to go but making progress. I have a combined sewing/stamping room so have fabric scraps also! Have a walk in closet to clean out. Seems I have to do it once a year at least!

Janet D. said...

A year ago I actually got quite annoyed with all the scraps I had stored, and really never even looked at! Soooo I tossed them!! It wasn't as bad as I thought. :) However, I am getting annoyed again, lol, so I may have another toss day soon.

Corilyn Noreen said...

Your scrap bin makes me smile. :)

Kathy BM said...

Love your card stock rainbow! I have a Pinterest board of ideas for cards to be made with scraps and any bits that are too small go in the compost bin. Could you donate your scraps to a kindergarten or craft group?